Friday 16 January 2015

The Word of the Week - Change

“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.
As a man changes his own nature,
so does the attitude of the world change towards him. ...
We need not wait to see what others do.”
Mahatma Ghandi

As I meditated this morning, the quote associated with Mahatma Ghandi (of which  the above actual quote is from Ghandi) “Be the change you wish to see in the world,” came to me and I asked myself the question, what changes could I make to myself to help heal the world. Given the extensive news reporting on the terror attacks that took place in France but even more so the lack of news coverage on the attacks that killed 2,500 people in Boko Haram in Nigeria.  When I first discovered that there was a blanket silence on the latter my initial response was to question why would the media choose to report one terror attack over another?  Then I realised that I felt a judgement arising in me over the injustice that one did receive more media coverage than the other!

Ghandi’s words came flooding to me in that moment, as I could feel the anger rising in me.  I took a breath and pondered, how could I view this situation differently, how could I reconcile my emotional attachment to this situation?  Be the change you wish to see in the world, the voice  in my head reminded me.  In order for me to be the change I could not let my anger, whose root cause is fear, be the impetus for any of my thoughts.  I could not let hate or any such emotion fill my being because that would make me into the very same people who cause these terrible atrocities.  The antidote to hate and fear is love, so how could I view this from a place of love?  I began to understand what Ghandi meant, as I looked to my own environment, in my own workspace and in my own community.  Be more kind loving and compassionate to those who are closest to me.  I understood that I needed to cultivate more of a quality of forgiveness to those whom  I had passed judgements towards.  I understood that I need not feed into the opinions of others and reinforce the hate and fear that such reports fuel into our psyche.   

Each day that we are given the chance to live and breathe again, choose to cultivate the change you wish to see in the world.  If you wish to see more love, then cultivate more love in your heart.  If you wish more peace in the world, then act in peaceful ways towards your fellow man.

Just for today, breathe life into the qualities that you wish to see into the world by encouraging those same said qualities in yourself.  The healing of our planet begins with you, let this weekend be the beginning of the change you wish to see.


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment