Friday 7 March 2014

The Word of the Week - Focus and determination



Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
“I will try again tomorrow.”
Mary Anne Radmacher

When I embarked upon the journey to change my life to one in which I deserved, my greatest obstacle was the frustration that I felt when my old habitual thoughts would make me lazy, apathetic and sometimes powerless to change them.  I would tell myself that changing my thinking was too hard, because in truth it took a lot of effort.  I would constantly remark to my closest friends who were also on the journey, how mentally challenging it was to eradicate old ways of thinking and that it felt like it was a job I had to commit to twenty four hours a day seven days a week.  I gave up many times, sliding back into the comfort of my behaviours as if it were an old worn but well-loved item of clothing that really needed to be thrown away. 

The impetus that allowed me to try to do battle repeatedly, was that I had tasted what it felt like (even for a brief moment) to be free in my thoughts and powerful in my mind to believe that I could accomplish anything that I set my mind too.  I had to learn to be disciplined and this took daily practice, chipping away bit by bit at old habits and replacing them with new ones.  I was determined to see life from a different perspective as I was totally fed up with the view my mind would tell me.  I told myself there HAD to be more to life than this and do you know what, a voice deep inside of me answered and said there is!!!

Changing your thinking is a challenge and it requires a commitment of focus and determination.  Now I know many people who fall at the first hurdle say “I’m done. I can’t do this, it’s too hard.”  Usually my reply has becomes almost pragmatic, “you can either choose to do the work and live a life you deserve or go back to your old way of thinking and keep complaining.”  After a while, those complainers do not form part of my inner circle and I limit my exposure to them, not because I am being harsh, but because I know the energy I want around me and I know the energy that I desire to become.  I have accepted my growth and I make way to attract those likeminded, focused and determined souls that feed and encourage my spirit rather than tear it down.

Just for today, you decide whether you are a complainer or one who is focused and determined to make your dreams a reality.  Anything of value requires sustained effort, you have to determine whether or not you VALUE YOURSELF enough to sustain the effort required.

Have an empowering weekend.


Nameste

No comments:

Post a Comment