Friday 18 October 2013

The Word of the Week - In stillness, I find myself


When the world can seem like it is a bit too loud, too raucous or too unkind; I step into stillness and withdraw.  I limit my conversations and my interactions and draw closer to the spirit within.  My spirit within is indeed my very best friend.  I can say that emphatically now because I have got to know her very well.  I am extremely honest with her, she knows my fears, my anxieties, my perceived foibles but she loves me in spite of it all.  She holds no judgements, offers forgiveness and sees the true intention behind everything I say and do.
In order to get to this point in our relationship I had to keep conversing with her, seeking her guidance, building up my trust in her and most of the time just sitting in silence with her.  Knowing that she is always available whenever I needed her…no appointment necessary.

Just as you would put time and effort in developing relationships outside of yourself, how much time and effort do you think you could put to developing a relationship with your deeper self, the BIG self that lives within you?  We learned by habit to listen to our ego self, to the point that our responses are automated.  We do not even try to make a different choice in our reactions; we actually believe the reactions that we give are our true selves when in fact it is not.  To know if you are living through the ego or not, test yourself, one way that I found helpful was in any situation where either I found myself being judgemental or at the point of reaction to a person or a situation, I would give a pause.  My first thought in these situations are always to be monitored, which means I would stop and slow down my world so that I could catch up.  This is the reason for the pause, this allows all the reactionary thoughts to have their say and then move out of the way for the higher self to connect with you.  Any thoughts that cause you to become angry, that believes that you have been affronted in any way, that create an “I am right, you are wrong” scenario, are thoughts that require a pause.  In addition, thoughts that follow on from this pause can be equally deceiving, such as “I am taking the higher road so therefore that still makes me better than you.”  Again, this requires a pause, because it leaves in its wake an underlying feeling of resentment.

Sometimes, it is wise to press pause in our speech and our reactions; as the more we develop our relationship with your own inner “best friend” the less reactionary we become.

“Silence is a source of Great Strength”     - Lao Tzu

“Let us be silent, that we may hear the whispers of the gods.”    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

“True silence is the rest of the mind; it is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.”   - William Penn

Just for today, be still and find your SELF!

Nameste


No comments:

Post a Comment