Friday 19 July 2013

The Word of the Week - What do you say?


Our self-talk is extremely important to our development in becoming the grandest version of our greatest vision of ourselves.  What you say has the power to render you powerless and weak, or strong and limitless.  Rarely do we offer reverence to the words we speak both out loud and silently.  If you tell yourself something often enough, that which you say will become your belief and ultimately will manifest into reality.  This reminds me of a quote:

Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

 I cringe inwardly when I hear people say something about themselves that describe a personality flaw.  The remark can be so forceful that I can hear the total belief in the statement.  For example, I have said to friends “Tell yourself  in the mirror I love you!” their faces contort with horror rejecting even the notion that they could say such a thing to themselves, “Oh no, I can’t do that!”  They literally look disgusted at the mere thought of saying it out loud let alone in their head. 

Who do you think you are rejecting when you can’t even say those three beautiful words to yourself?  How can you possibly love someone else with all honesty when you have no love for yourself?  If you have no love for yourself it reduces your ability to create loving personal boundaries that deter others from over stepping their mark with you, which in turn leads to YOU feeling hurt.

 Loving yourself is not vanity, it is however a very subtle form of narcissism but not excessively.  True love encompasses kindness, forgiveness, empathy and is totally unconditional.  Do you practice unconditional love for yourself?  “Oh I will love myself when I am thin, I will love myself when I earn more money, I will love myself when the other person changes their behaviour!”  No, no, no!  Love yourself now, in this very moment, for there is only now, there is only this present moment.  

It always surprises me how in the past I could tell someone else that I loved them but could not tell myself those very same words.  Now I recognise the contradiction, I recognise that only by loving myself totally, emphatically and with great reverence enables me to give to someone else the highest version of love.  “Do unto others as you would do unto yourself” comes to mind, I would add an instruction that you do this to yourself first and foremost before including others.

Just for today, be the kindest person that you possibly can to the most beautiful, the most deserving and the most worthy person that you know……..and  that is to YOURSELF!

Have a loving weekend

Nameste, love and light x

No comments:

Post a Comment